Monday 19 March 2012

Letter from an A4 fan

My son was diagnosed mild-mod Autism a few months before I found A4cwsn.
After his diagnosis I searched online for support groups.
My husband was a great support but I wanted to be able to chat with other mothers going through similar things, other mothers who could offer advice.
I found a few different support groups on facebook. Watched for a week or so before joining in.
I never felt comfortable sharing there.
There were a lot of arguments going on. Bio-med, Not Bio-Med. Therapies, no therapies.
I wanted a place with no arguments, I had enough stress in my life without getting into/seeing arguments.
I wanted somewhere I could feel safe to share my story, struggles and triumphs.
I decided that it wasn't worth it and left the groups I was in.
Not long after that I stumbled across A4cwsn.com and found out there was a facebook page.
I 'liked' it and watched what went on for a week or 2.
I saw support and what seemed to be real friendships.
I didn't see any arguments.
I introduced myself and told my families story.
I was welcomed within 5 minutes of posting there.
My questions were and still are always answered.
I know without a doubt that if I am struggling I can go to A4cwsn on facebook and vent, ask advice or go there to have a laugh with friends.
I say friends and I truly mean friends. I talk with people I met on A4 daily, I have many of them on my friends list. I even txt and talk on the phone with some of them.
I never needed an iPad from A4 as I already had one for my son but I have gained a lot of different information about apps that are useful for the things my son struggles with.
I want to thank Gary James for giving me a place to go for support for making it possible to meet the amazing people I have met.
I want to thank the A4 community for showing me kindness, for showing me it is ok to struggle sometimes and for being there for me and others.
To those believing the bad things you read...I would say go to A4cwsn, get to know some of the people, see how much support there is and how many caring people are there for you, even when you are a stranger!

2 comments:

  1. I could not agree more that A4 is an amazing & super supportive community. I am truly honored to say that I am a part of it & am humbled by all the wonderful people I have the pleasure of knowing thanks to A4 :) <3

    ReplyDelete